Ready to refocus on the things that truly matter, while spending less time on the things that don’t?
In other words, perhaps our wellbeing doesn’t necessarily come down to working harder. There’s a sweet spot of happiness in which 20% of our effort leads to 80% of the desired outcome—this is the 80/20 rule. For example, 20% of the things that you do any given day may bring you roughly 80% of your total satisfaction. Our challenge is to identify and maximize your effort that renders the most impact. Below is a list of ways to help you creatively refocus and settle into your sweet spot:
- Determine how you spend your time now. If you want to discover how to make time for the things you enjoy, you have to examine how you use your time. Make a list of your time commitments to daily activities and pinpoint the areas of redundancy or inefficiency.
- Start small. Set aside 30 minutes each day for a month. During this time, think about a simple question: What makes life complicated? Next, begin to think about what can be changed or eliminated, and slowly try to implement changes on a conservative scale.
- Learn to say no. Most of us are proud of our thirst for productivity, but it comes with a high price: a complicated life that leaves no time for you. This can lead to over-commitment and frustration. Begin by scheduling time for yourself on your calendar, saying no to something else in the process.
- Clear away clutter. Think of all the stuff you’ve acquired in the past 5 years. Most of it is designed to make life simpler, but the clutter often adds its own set of complications that compromise your ability to work smarter.
- Get help. If you keep living your life the way you always have, it will stay complicated. Get an outsider’s perspective, and you may be surprised to find that the solution is right under your nose.
Asking for help may be considered a “weakness,” but it’s actually a sign of strength. After all, it takes more courage to admit when you feel overwhelmed than it takes to simply maintain status quo. At TherapyWorks, our friendly and experienced therapists help empower our clients to change their lives, and as they settle into their sweet spots, they’re better able to handle whatever comes along.