You can raise your happiness level right now! We’ve compiled our list of quick mood boosters to help you get happier wherever you are. So how quick is quick? In just 60-seconds, you can go from negative to positive!
- Sign Out. Social media has been an excellent tool in helping us reconnect with people we know and love, but there is also a down side. We can fall into a compare and despair situation. Where everyone is putting their best foot forward, many times we start to feel left out- not good enough. Our world can begin to feel small. So sign out! Limit the amount of time you will spend on social media, try checking only at work. Watch your mood improve!
- Breathe. Take a few moments to close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Inhale deeply through your nose for a 5-second count, pause for two seconds, and then exhale for 10 seconds. Do this 5 times. This will help to stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system which helps us to restore balance. With that balance restored, we naturally slow down our pace of life.
- Meditate. Meditation is such a great tool. Close your eyes, practice your breathing and let your mind fall silent. The quieting of your mind for just 60-seconds can have a profound effect on the rest of your day.
- Stretch. Stress causes tension in your body and stretching helps to alleviate that tension. Try stretching as far as you can. Hold for 3-seconds. Release. Continue this for one minute, feel the the stress just leave your body.
- Pet a Pet. Studies have shown that petting an animal can dramatically improve your mood. This is part of the reason why behavioral therapists use animals to help with healing. Take a minute to really pet an animal. Watch how much that feeling of touch changes their mood as well as yours!
- Count Your Blessings. When we are struck with a negative moment or bad day, it’s easy to lose sight of all the positives we have in our lives. Turn things around quickly by taking stock of what’s going well. Grab a piece of paper and for 1-minute write down a list of everything good in your life. You’ll be surprised at how quickly a smile will form on your face.