Sara uses a thoughtful, compassionate and motivating approach. Her warm and welcoming style supports clients where they are at in life and helps to focus on individualized strengths (even when it might feel hard!). Sara has over 10 years of professional experience in the field of counseling and psychology and has worked with various populations ranging from children to seniors. As a Registered Art Therapist, Sara has found this to be a helpful and clinically effective intervention when working to process and express emotions. She recognizes the amount of trust and strength it takes to begin therapy and feels very fortunate and honored to be part of each client’s journey.
Qualifications and Education
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #79602
- Registered Art Therapist #13-114
- Masters of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy and Art Therapy, Notre Dame De Namur University
- Bachelors of Science in Psychology, Westminster College
- Clinical Director, Clinical Supervisor & Therapist at TherapyWorks (2019-Present)
- Therapist at Los Gatos Therapy Center (2018)
- Psychiatric Social Worker at Palo Alto Medical Foundation Santa Cruz (2015-2018)
- Psychiatric Social Worker at Mills Peninsula Hospital in patient psychiatric facility and intensive outpatient programs (2011-2015)
- Therapist with the City of San Jose’s Grace Community Center Program (short term contract from October-December 2012)
- Therapist Trainee with the Pre to Three Program with San Mateo County (2009-2010).
- Facilitator and Counselor with the Teen Success Program at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (2007-2009).
Areas of Specializations & Advanced Training
- Art Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Crisis work and intervention
- Suicidal and high-risk behavior clients including self-harming behaviors
- Tweens, teens and young adults with array of challenging behaviors and mental health diagnoses
- In-Patient and Outpatient treatment and training
Associations and Memberships
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- American Art Therapy Association
On a Personal Note
Sara enjoys spending time with her little boys and husband. She has always loved the outdoors and enjoys going to the beach and hiking. She loves to travel with family and friends when she can. To keep herself balanced, she goes running and bakes (which her family enjoys.) Her ultimate joy has been becoming a mom and watching her two young toddler boys grow!